The Church of the Covenant was formed by the merger of three congregations.
The Euclid Street Presbyterian Church (organized in 1853) merged with Beckwith Memorial Presbyterian Church (organized in 1885) and became the Euclid Avenue Presbyterian Church in 1906. In 1920, Second Presbyterian Church (organized in 1844) joined the Euclid Avenue Presbyterian Church and the name was changed to the Church of the Covenant.
Covenant has a long history of activism, both locally and nationally, particularly on issues of inclusion.
- 1947 Opened first integrated preschool in Cleveland
- 1951 Integrated Covenant worshiping community
- 1960 Fought for desegregation of Cleveland schools
- 1976 Opened Cache resale shop
- 1990 Started Saturday tutoring program
- 2006 Created Interfaith Center for Catholic, Muslim, and Protestant student organizations
- 2010 Supported ordination of LGBT individuals
- 2010 Created Covenant University and Community ministries (CUCM), a 501(c)3 umbrella for
Covenant and community outreach programs